Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont King Reviewed and Rated (2021): Pros, Cons & Our Verdict
Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont King
While some people love firm mattresses, there are still others who prefer the comfort of soft mattresses. The Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop may be just the right kind of soft bed that you’re looking for. It also offers enough support and pressure relief for back and side sleepers. If you’re a big fan of Serta’s mattresses, you might just like this one, too. See the full details of our review in this article.
We reviewed this veteran luxury super pillow top from Serta which got the nod from the National Sleep Foundation. But being selected as the Foundation’s Official Mattress does not mean that the Ridgemont from the Serta Perfect Sleeper line of pillow top mattresses is for everyone. Read on to find out why.
Serta Simmons Bedding, LLC has been in business since 1933, a short two years after The Perfect Sleeper line of mattresses was introduced into the world. Serta has consistently taken the lead by mass-producing the first pillow-soft mattress in the 1970s as well as having all of its mattresses meet or exceed the federal government’s fire-retardant materials standards.
In 2010, Serta linked arms with the National Sleep Foundation to conduct a survey of the public’s sleep preferences, and as a result, 5 common sleep problems were uncovered. Serta then decided to redesign its Perfect Sleeper line of mattresses to address the five: too much tossing and turning, getting too little support for a comfortable sleeping position, the mattress material retaining too much body heat without dissipation which leads to sleeping too hot, too much motion transfer it disturbs your sleeping partner, and lack of mattress edge support which causes rolling-off and a smaller sleep surface.
This partnership would soon propel Serta into becoming the #1 mattress manufacturer in the USA, as well as earn recognition from the Women’s Choice Award as America’s Most Recommended Mattress, Pillow and Box Spring brand for 2014, 2015, and 2016.
The Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop King Mattress
One of the first to come out of the Perfect Sleeper redesign as a result of the research on common sleep complaints from customers was the Ridgemont, with many customers buying it in King size (76 inches by 79.5 inches, with 14.5 inches mattress height). Its design focus was to offer pressure relief, provide ample support and motion isolation. For this purpose, it is made of a hybrid of foam, gel memory foam, and pocketed innerspring.
Serta has trademarked several technologies in its quest for innovation:
- Cool Action Gel Memory Foam offers a soft, pressure-relieving comfort to mitigate a restless sleeper’s tossing and turning.
- Custom Support Individual Advantage 886 Innerspring support layer conforms to your body to provide just the right level of support without feeling firm.
- TrueSense Design system provides superior motion isolation so that your sleeping partner will sleep just as soundly.
- Cool Balance Fabric helps regulate temperature on the layer, which directly comes in contact with your skin.
- Comfortlast Construction with Total Edge Foam Encasement ensures durability and stability right up to the edge of the mattress for maximum bed surface usability.
The mattress firmness rating is a soft 4, where 1 is the most firm, and 5 being the softest. It is assembled in the US, and is with a 10-year limited warranty.
Delivery Service Options
Along with other products from Serta, the Ridgemont can be shipped with the White Glove Delivery+ Service. This value-added service includes not only delivery of the product right up to your doorstep, but up to two flights of stairs to the bedroom of your choice. The White Glove Delivery agent will remove the packaging, set-up your new mattress, move the used mattress to another room, or deliver the old mattress to a qualified charity.
Delivery times usually take 10 to 12 business days for standard delivery zones, while those in rural areas may take longer for the package to arrive. The White Glove Delivery agent will call the buyer to set-up and confirm the finer details of the premium service.
The Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop is compatible with standard-sized bed frames. However, for best results, these can be paired with Serta’s adjustable foundations, which are sold separately. This best-selling adjustable bed frame has recently been upgraded to have whisper-quiet settings, USB ports for convenient use in charging gadgets while you are also recharging by sleeping, a wireless remote for full maximization of its features, and 3-in-1 adjustable legs to ensure that the users will be of the correct height relative to the floor for ease of getting in and out of bed.
Despite its design, awards and recognition, the Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop mattress has its fair share of online critics. Many reviews have given it just average marks for back support, pressure relief, value for money, and warranty service. As a result, total sleep quality ratings from the mattress have been lackluster when expectations of the product are high given its pedigree.
What most owners have noted however, is that the product does stay cool, just as advertised. Moreover, it also has an average to above average lifespan, with some owners reporting around 8 years of use without needing a mattress replacement due to normal wear and tear. The oldest mattress needed replacing only after 18 years of use, although some requested returns within the trial period because of differences or changes in preference.
A key takeaway from the critical feedback is that most of these customers were expecting a firmer mattress. This mismatch would have been addressed given that the Serta Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop is rated and advertised as a soft mattress.
Given the above information, are you convinced that the Serta Ridgemont mattress will address your needs and style?
With our desire to walk you through your decision, our team included a buyer’s guide and additional facts to assist you better.
How do you choose your mattress comfort level?
What material to choose?
Will your sleeping position matter?
A Mattress Buying Guide
Just as no two people are alike, the preferences for what makes the ‘perfect’ mattress vary. In response, mattress manufacturers, consumer and advocacy groups have arrived at guidelines to help the buyer. Here are the categories to examine to ensure you get the mattress that fits your liking:
Table of Contents
Choose Your Comfort Level
Mattresses of any make and type are categorized depending on its firmness or comfort level. Numerical scales vary, so, for easier understanding, there are mattresses which are firm, medium, and soft. Of course, there are even more options in between firm and medium, and between medium and soft.
- Generally is for heavier sleepers who weigh around or above 195 pounds
- Also preferred by those who like support for joint and back pain
- Firm beds reduce motion transfer, where if one sleeper tosses and turns on one side of the bed, the other sleeper would barely notice the movements.
- Generally for average weight sleepers around 175 pounds in weight
- Provides a balance between support and conforming to your body for comfort
- Generally for lightweight sleepers who weigh around or below 120 pounds
- May also be preferred by average or heavier weight sleepers who enjoy ‘sinking’ into their mattresses
Choose Your Material
Mattresses are made of different materials, each of which has its own distinct attributes. Hybrid mattresses combine two or more of these materials where, in a sense, buyers can mix-and-match.
- Latex comes from the sap of rubber trees and are then processed by a machine, turning the sap into foam
- Since latex foam has air bubbles, it can wick away body heat and dissipate the heat, which means that it sleeps relatively cool
The material pushes back against the weight of a sleeper, and this gives the effect of a bounce
- The material is specially formulated in a laboratory, and was originally developed for NASA
- It is denser which discourages airflow, which means that it will feel increasingly warm after it has absorbed body heat
- Memory foam does not push back so much against the weight of a sleeper, and this gives the effect of conforming to the curves of a body
- The material is also specially formulated in a laboratory to give a cooling effect which counteracts the warming effect of memory foams
- There are several types of springs depending on their arrangement and thickness or gauge
- Their purpose is to provide thickness to the mattress, as well as support and added bounce
- Pocketed or individually wrapped coils provide support without the motion transfer of older innerspring designs
For targeted support, some mattresses have thinner gauged springs located near where the head, shoulders and legs would be and thicker gauged springs where the heavier torso would be
Choose Based on Your Usual Sleeping Position
Your sleeping position also has an effect on what mattress might fit you better.
If you sleep mostly on your back, a firm mattress might be more to your liking, find one that has a gel layer, or one that is gel-infused so that your back won’t sweat while you sleep
If you sleep mostly on your stomach, you might also prefer a firmer mattress so that you can maintain your position without ‘sinking’ awkwardly into the mattress. One in latex, memory foam, or a hybrid of both should do
If you sleep mostly on your side, a softer mattress will conform to your shoulders, arms, and hips for a more comfortable sleep. Memory foams and its hybrids work best.
If you change positions a lot while sleeping, you might want to put a premium on a mattress that minimizes motion transfer. A firmer mattress would also allow you to move around without feeling like you are in quicksand.
Choose Your Aesthetic
The difference between a Pillow top mattress and a Euro top mattress is mainly on how the stitching is done. Euro tops are stitched right into the top layer of the mattress which means that they are flush with the edge. Pillow top mattresses, on the other hand, are stitched in such a way that there is a gap between the padding layer and the top of the mattress.
Given the quality control standards of modern manufacturing methods, differences between the two types of mattress tops should be minimal. Moreover, the same quality control standards require that Serta mattresses meet applicable CertiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX certifications for product safety in terms of components, manufacturing processes, and eco-friendliness.
The Serta Perfect Sleeper Ridgemont Luxury Super Pillowtop mattress is a good bed to buy if you are
- A sleeper who prefers a soft mattress
- A lightweight sleeper who weighs around or below 120 pounds
- A back sleeper
- A side sleeper
- A sleeper who is looking for excellent motion isolation
- A sleeper who needs exceptional pressure relief for mitigation of aches and pains
Moreover, Serta has since expanded its product catalogue to include newer innovations and a wider price range. So, do you think the Ridgemont will fit your preferences? Or is there another product which seems to suit you better? We would love to hear your feedback!