Top 6 Best-Rated Mattresses for Kids (A 2020 Buyer’s Guide): Compare Child-Friendly Mattress Brands
Avail of their Veteran’s Day 20% off site-wide! The promo period runs from November 1 to 15, 2020. The discount code will be automatically applied at checkout, and there is no minimum purchase required.
Sleep is a basic need for people, regardless of age. A sufficient amount of sleep is vital in promoting one’s overall health.
The benefits of getting enough sleep include:
- Lesser chance of getting sick
- Easier to maintain a healthy and ideal weight
- Lesser risk of acquiring crucial health problems like diabetes and heart disease
- Lower stress and enhance your mood
- Think more clearly and perform better in school and at work
Sufficient and quality sleep is beneficial to everyone, but kids need them more than adults for growth and learning.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), age groups should be the base of sleeping hours.
- Young children aged between 3 and 5 need 10-13 hours of sleep per day.
- Children between 13 and 18 need 8-10 hours of sleep per day, the AAP suggests.
- Older children require less sleep compared to younger ones.
A lot of factors can affect the quality of sleep of children. One of which is the choice for a mattress. Choosing the right mattress for them can really help them get the quality sleep they need. Children may not care much about mattresses as much as adults do, but it can affect them in many ways.
Parents should consider factors such as firmness, temperature neutrality, pressure relief, foundations, and sleeping positions to decide what mattress can help their children get the quality of sleep required for them.
This article aims to provide a guide for parents in choosing the right mattress for their children. This review of different beds will help enlighten parents on what factors they need to consider in what kind of mattress they should get for their children.
Tuft and Needle
Nest Big Kids Bed
Table of Contents
The Nectar mattress is comprised of three layers of memory foam, giving a hugging sensation to sleepers. The mattress uses a quilted memory foam cover to provide a soft feel. The cover is made of Tencel fabric that keeps the surface cooler.
- The first layer is a 1-inch gel-infused memory foam that distributes the weight and heat that give pressure relief to sleepers.
- The second layer is 3 inches of 3.5 PCF Adaptive Hi Core memory foam. It serves as a divider of the comfort and support layers. It also provides additional support.
- The third layer or the support core is 6 inches of 2.2 PCF polyfoam that stabilizes the mattress.
The Nectar mattress has a medium-firm level of firmness. It can still be used by a child even when he grows up.
The foams of the Nectar mattress are CertiPUR-US certified. They have been tested for harmful substances.
The Nectar mattress is ideal for:
- children who switch positions all the time
- kids who like a hugging mattress
- families who want to continue using the mattress even when their child grows
The mattress costs $799, which is quite cheap compared to other beds with a similar build. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a 365-night sleep trial.
I personally prefer the Nectar mattress because of its hugging attribute that helps relieve pressure points. It is also an economical choice because even as my child grows, they can still use it. Moreover, it is relatively cheap for its construction.
The Casper mattress is an all-foam mattress with a medium-feel level of firmness. Because it is all-foam, even small sleepers can really feel a hug from the mattress. The hugging can help in providing pressure relief.
The medium-feel of the Casper mattress can make individuals, from different age groups, comfortable. It can cater to both children and adults.
The Casper mattress is comprised of four layers.
- The first layer is 1.5 inches of open-cell polyfoam that helps provide cushion and allow airflow for cooling.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of 4 PCF memory foam that cradle the sleeper’s body and provide pressure relief.
- The third layer or the transition layer provides support under the hips to maintain the sleeper’s spine alignment. It is 1.5 inches of 3.5 PCF polyfoam. The support core is 7.5 inches of polyfoam.
The all-foam setup of the Casper mattress can really hug and help sleepers relieve pressure, but it can make around the surface of the bed difficult.
Casper foams have certification from CertiPUR-US, which means they are free of mercury, formaldehyde, and other hazardous substances.
The mattress is ideal for:
- side sleepers under 200 pounds
- kids who like a hugging mattress
- families who will let the mattress be used by kids and adults
The Casper mattress, priced at $995, comes at quite a cost compared to other mattresses. It comes with a 10-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial.
The Little LuuF mattress is specially made for kids. Its spring support system is built to reinforce little kids’ bodies. Because it was made for lighter frames, it can gently cradle a child’s body.
The Little LuuF mattress is softer than a crib, making it more comfortable for young sleepers. Moreover, the mattress was built to adjust to a child’s body as he grows to provide pressure relief.
The top layer of the mattress is made of foam to evenly spread the weight of a child and reduce pressure points. Its support core meanwhile uses pocketed coils to give bounce and allow cooling air circulation. As the coils are pocketed, the vibrations that spread between coils are reduced. It can fit bunk beds because the Little Luuf is only 8-inches thick.
The foams that Little LuuF used are CertiPUR-US certified, which means their foams are free from mercury, lead, formaldehyde, and other specific substances. Other materials are also OEKO-TEX certified, indicating that they have been tested for a range of harmful substances. Furthermore, the fire barriers that the mattress uses are natural, not chemical.
The Little LuuF mattress is ideal for:
- children using bunk beds
- children who get hot during the night
- children who want a bouncy bed
The Little LuuF, priced at $599, can be acquired for a one-year sleep trial. It also comes with a 10-year limited warranty for defects.
Tuft and Needle
The Tuft and Needle is not specifically built for children, but they may be a good mattress choice for children as well because of its ability to accommodate different weight groups. Accordingly, this model is suitable for growing children.
The Tuft and Needle is made up of 2 all-foam layers.
- The first layer is a 3-inch Turf and Needle’s own Adaptive foam, a material made to balance contouring and responsiveness. It also contains gel and graphite that take heat away from sleepers’ bodies.
- The second layer, or the support core, is a 7-inch polyfoam. The mattress also has a soft cover that allows air circulation for surface cooling.
The Tuft and Needle is medium-firm, which reportedly is what firmness level many sleepers prefer. People who are over 200 pounds prefer firm mattresses, while people who are below 130 pounds tend to favor softer ones. The Turf and Needle is between the aforementioned ranges, so it may be good for growing children whose sleep preference are changing.
The Tuft and Needle has undergone testing and has been certified by CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold.
The mattress is ideal for:
- children who constantly change sleeping positions
- people who want more pressure relief
- people who plan to keep the mattress even when their grows
The Tuft and Needle costs $595 and come with a 10-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial.
Joybed LX mattress is made using natural materials. It does not use foam. This type of mattress is alluring for parents who prefer a more natural and eco-friendly mattress for their children to lie on.
The top of the Joybed LX makes use of a plant-based fire barrier, wool, and GOTS certified organic cotton. The wool and cotton regulate the temperature of the surface to keep the sleeper cool and dry. Pocketed coils make up the support layer that allows air to circulate and thereby keeping the bed cool.
The Joybed LX being, made of natural materials, produces little odor right out of the box. But initial odors are quick to dissipate because air easily circulates through the mattress.
This type of mattress may feel quite firm, especially for children under 30 pounds. Back and stomach sleepers may like this mattress because of its even support. The high firmness level also makes it easy for children to change their sleeping positions. Getting in and out of bed is also made easier.
The Joybed LX is ideal for:
- children who sleep on their backs or stomachs
- children who get warm at night
- and people into natural products
This type of mattress costs $960. It comes with a 10-year warranty and a 120-night sleep trial.
Nest Big Kids Bed
The Nest Big Kids Bed is one of the first bed-in-a-box mattresses built particularly for children. This type of mattress is all-foam.
- The first component of the Nest Big Kids Bed is a soft quilted foam cover that provides cushion. A 2-inch layer of 2.8 pounds per cubic foot (PCF) Energex foam follows. Such type of foam is built to provide contouring and pressure relief similar to that of memory foam. Energex foam, however, regains its shape faster than memory foams when the sleeper changes position.
- The last component of the Nest Big Kids Bed is a 5-inch support core of 1.8 PCF foam that helps stabilize the mattress surface and provide more reinforcement.
Lighter kids will likely find the Nest Big Kids Bed relatively firm, while the heavier kids with find it soft.
The Nest Big Kids Bed is only 7-inches thick, so it should fit in most bunk beds. Moreover, size options are limited to a twin, twin XL, and full sizes since it is specially designed for children.
The Nest Big Kids Bed is using CertiPUR-US certified foams and natural fire barriers.
This model is ideal for:
- children using bunk beds
- kids below 100 pounds
- children who prefer a hugging mattress
Priced at $299, the Nest Big Kids Bed comes with a lifetime warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no specific answer to the question of what is the best mattress for kids. It depends on a child’s preference and needs.
There are mattresses specifically made for children. However, every child has a different sleeping habit. So, a mattress mainly designed for a child may not automatically work for your child. Children have different sizes and preferred sleeping positions. These factors are critical in choosing what the best mattresses for kids are.
Health concerns such as allergies and temperature requirements should also be noted. It is imperative to be familiar with a child’s sleeping habits, needs, and preferences before purchasing a mattress. Firmness level, mattress size, and materials can have a significant impact on your child’s quality of sleep.
There are also non-specialty mattresses that can still be used even when a child grows. Many parents prefer such type of mattress because it is economical. It can continue to cater to the sleeping needs and preferences of a child as they grow.
Why is Choosing the Right Mattress for a Child Important?
Sleeping is essential for resting and recovering. It is vital to people of all ages, but for a child who’s still growing, it is extra necessary. A child needs sleep for continued growth.
A child’s health and wellness rely a lot on the quality of sleep that he’s getting. A good night’s sleep can promote a lot of health benefits to a child, both mentally and physically. Quality sleep can help improve a child’s learning, memory, attention, and behavior. Not getting quality sleep, on the other hand, can result in health problems.
It is easy for parents to strictly enforce “lights out” to control the sleeping time of their kids. What they could not control is how the sleep of their children goes. A comfortable mattress can really help kids get the good night’s sleep they need. A mattress promotes not only quality sleep for children, but it also supports overall health.
Getting the best mattress for children can have significant effects on children’s health, but it is often overlooked. It is essential to pay attention to your children’s sleep as it is critical in their growth and development. Waste no time and call us now to get the best mattress for your kids.