- ID Magazine ServedProject Featured On:ID Magazine Served — 7/21/12
Start from a Ring
- Start from a Ring
- My work is under the context of traditional jewelry mass production,discussing the rules that people feel accustomed to，the judgement of standard and defected goods as well as our accurate control given by industrialization.
- wax injection
- Firstly wax injection machine and silicon mold will be used to produce mass standard wax copies which will then be casted into metal as jewelries. Because of errors, during the process there will be many defected wax copies. Those imperfect ones will be melted into liquid and injected again,until they become standard products.A special relationship between this work and traditional jewelry is expected to be established via the mass production of wax injection, providing a new perspective of defection, accidency and uncontrollable factors.
- waste imperfect wax copies
- generation diagram
- Part I
Use the mother mold to inject wax for 100 times. Retain the wax copies from the first time to the last time objectively. Cast them into metal and complete the processing.
Do not use the traditional rules to judge good or bad, standard or defective and inevitable or accidental. A standard wax copy can be considered as an accident through the 100 times wax injection.
- Part II
Select 5 wax copies randomly from the 100 copies in Part I as the starting point and use them to make press mold. Inject wax again and cast the new wax copy into metal. Then, use it to make press mold and inject wax again. Repeat this process for 10 times.
The error produced by machine will gradually deform the standard mother mold and affect the precise control of human. The so-called error becomes the jewelry itself.
Reconstruct the last wax copy of the five experiments in Part II. Use this new wax copy to make press mold. Cast it into metal and convert it to a wearable jewelry.
The outcome of machine production is influenced by the subjective creation, but finally, it returns back to machine production again. This process becomes uncontrollable. With the involvement of new error and accident, a new life is born.
- Media: Silver, CopperDimension: variable